Frequently asked Questions

Do I need language skills?

For the Bachelor's degree programmes, foreign applicants must prove German language skills at least at level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) through a recognised language examination.
This also applies to the artistic Master's degree programmes in music (at least B1!) - with the exception of the Master's degree programmes in choir and ensemble conducting as well as church music; for the latter two, German language skills at level C1 are required.
For the music pedagogical and the pedagogical-artistic Master's degree programmes as well as the Master's degree programmes in musicology and elementary music and dance pedagogy, German language skills at the level C1 are also required.

Are there age limits?

The following maximum ages may not be exceeded at the beginning of the corresponding admission semester:
Course of study                                                        Maximum age
Intensive study programme Master Acting                           24 years

Bachelor 1st semester all artistic courses of study               25 years 
except Early Music, Composition/Setting,

Jazz/Popular Music, church music, organ and
Choir and ensemble conducting
For admission to the 5th semester,

the age limit is increased by 2 years.
age limit applies.
There is no age limit for teacher training courses.
Master's degree all artistic degree programmes                   30 years
except Early Music, Composition, Composition,

Jazz/Popular Music, Electroacoustic music,church music,
Organ and Choir and ensemble conducting
Master's studies all artistic courses of study                          32 years
except Early Music, Composition,

Jazz/Popular Music; electroacoustic music,
organ andchoral and ensemble conducting


Is there an "Open Day"?

The "Open Day" takes place in the second week of January. The programme will be published on our website in due course.


Why was my re-registration not successful?

You can find all information about the feedback here:


Leave of absence


For what reasons can I take a leave of absence from HMT?
Where can I find the necessary forms?
Which documents do I have to submit?

You can find all the information on leave of absence here:


Part-time study

For what reasons can I study part-time at HMT?
Where can I find the necessary forms?
Which documents do I have to submit?

You can find all the information on part-time study here:



Scholarships | Financing

What scholarships are available at HMT?
How can I get general information about possible scholarships?
Who can advise me on a student loan?

You can find all information about scholarships and financing here:


Study abroad


How can I spend one or more semesters studying abroad?
What deadlines do I have to meet?
What applications do I have to submit?

You can find all information on studying abroad here:

As an alternative to the ERSAMUS programme, you can take leave of absence to study abroad.


Where can I find the bank details for re-registration?


You will find your individual bank details in your HMT mailbox. You will receive this by email at the beginning of each re-registration period.



Is it possible to be enrolled at two universities?


As a rule, you may only be enrolled at one university in Germany.

Exceptions must be approved by the Prorector for Academic Affairs. An informal application by e-mail is sufficient for this purpose. Please inform us of the second university, the degree programme and the expected duration of the double enrolment.


Entry requirements and quarantine regulations


During the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, entry regulations and quarantine rules continue to apply. Please take note of these when planning your entrance examination.

Quarantine is mandatory for applicants from high risk areas!


A current list of risk areas can be found here:

Detail - Information on the quarantine obligation (expiry, end reasons, etc.) can be found here in German and English:

and here:


As well as here, in several languages and with reference to the SMS received upon entry.

On these pages you will also find information for fully vaccinated or recovered persons.

Since the quarantine regulations are implemented by legal ordinances of the federal states, please also note the quarantine regulation for Saxony: